The Friends of White Hill Mansion
Historic Timeline of White Hill Mansion
1722 - Robert Field (1) purchased White Hill and built a one and a half story house on the property.
1757 - Robert Field (2) inherited White Hill.
1775 - Robert Field (2) drowns mysteriously in the Delaware River.
1776 - Captain Houston of the American Navy docks at White Hill and joins Mary for dinner. This resulted in her neighbors reporting her as a colonial sympathizer.
1776 - December 8th the British army invades Mary’s home looking for rebel colonial soldiers.
1776 - December 12th Captain Wrenden of the Hessian army makes White Hill his temporary quarters. During his stay Colonel Carl von Donop visited Mary.
1779 - The Widow Field married Commodore Thomas Read. Thomas decides to make White Hill his County Seat.
1779 - Mary assists Commodore John Barry escape capture by the British.
1788 - Commodore Thomas Read dies at White Hill.
1797 - Mary signs White Hill over to her son Robert (3) and his wife Abigail Stockton
1804 - Robert (3) loses White Hill due to mismanagement. To save his sister’s good name Richard Stockton purchased White Hill and allowed Robert and Abigail to remain in the Mansion.
1832 - David Bruce invented a new typesetting machine at White Hill, as well as perfecting typefaces still in use.
1847 - Senator Isaac Field purchased White Hill
1853 - The Name of White Hill was changed to Fieldsboro to honor the Field family.
1885 - Joseph Mayer bought the property and developed several pottery techniques at White Hill.
1896 - The Mansion was traded to Joseph Crossley for a building in Trenton and $10,000.
1897 - Famous pollster, Archibald Crossley is the last baby to be born at White Hill.
1922 - Heinrich and Katrina Glenk purchase White Hill and open an upscale German restaurant in 1923.
1972 - Katrina Glenk sold White Hill to a consortium. The name is changed from Glenks White Hill Mansion Restaurant to "The Mansion”.
1977 - The Mansion Restaurant is sold to the Zusack Family
1991 - Stepan Company bought White Hill with plans to open corporate offices in the Mansion.
1999 - Learning that Stepan planned to demolish the building, the Borough of Fieldsboro purchased the Mansion.
2004 - Preservation efforts begin
2009 - The Historic Trust of New Jersey awarded a grant to Fieldsboro.
2011 - The first archaeological dig is conducted and the Preservation Plan is completed. These projects were partially funded with the HTNJ grant.
2012 - The New Jersey State Review Board for Historic Sites approved the nomination to submit White Hill Mansion to the State Register.
2013 - The White Hill Mansion becomes a State Registered Historic Place.