Wishing all our friends and supporters a very Happy New Year!
The Friends of White Hill Mansion
History of White Hill Mansion
Robert Field inherited the property from his father in 1757. A successful merchant, he built a comfortable mansion on the property. In 1765 Robert married Mary Peel. He drowned under mysterious circumstances on January 29, 1775. The widow Mary lived at White Hill throughout the Revolutionary War. It was through her cunning intelligence that her property survived intact. In 1797 Mary signed over the property to her son, Robert III. Unfortunately, he lost the entire property due to mismanagement in 1804.
The Mansion changed hands many times, occupied by inventors, doctors, and a State Senator. In 1923 Heinrichand Katrina Glenk opened an upscale German Restaurant often visited by New Jersey’s elite. In 1972 the Glenks sold the restaurant. It was twice sold and finally to the Stepan Company. When the Borough of Fieldsboro learned that Stepan planned to demolish the house, the Borough bought and now maintain the property.
The White Hill Mansion is currently on the New Jersey State Register of HistoricPlaces. A restoration project began in 2004. Two Archaeological digs were conducted by Dr. Richard Veit and students from Monmouth University. Over 30,000 artifacts were uncovered, as well as several building foundations and evidence of Native American occupation.
As the Revolutionary War approached, Robert headed the New Jersey Committee of Correspondence. This committee and committees like it, formed across the colonies to resist the British Parliament with less radical methods than their contemporaries, The Sons of Liberty. These committees petitioned the British Parlement and, exchanged information throughout the colonies. After war broke out, the committees expanded their roles as new pseudo administrative organizations, as the previous colonial governments fell apart. Robert drowned in the Delaware river in 1775. After the mysterious circumstances of his death, his young wife defended her home and family as the Revolutionary War broke out in 1776.
Over the following 237 years, the mansion was expanded and reflects several architectural styles. It has housed doctors, entrepreneurs, and rum smugglers during prohibition. The building has been used as a bordello, speakeasy and, for seventy years it was Glenk's White Hill Mansion Bar and Grill.