The Friends of White Hill Mansion
History of White Hill Mansion
The Borough of Fieldsboro was founded in 1682. Originally know as White Hill because of its apple orchards, the land was purchased by John Snowden. In 1722 Robert Field purchased 300 acres and built a modest one-and-a-half story house, that may have been just one on the first floor and a sleeping loft on the second, accessible by a spiral staircase. the cellar beneath had a vaulted root cellar and a turnnel leading to the Delaware River.
A large five bay house, center hall, Georgian style home, built either by the elder Robert or possibly his son (Robert Field II) was constructed between 1750 and 1760 next to the original small house. The exterior of the home is brick in the Flemish-bond pattern.
In 1765, Robert Field II married Mary Peel, the daughter of a successful Philadelphia merchant and owned several businesses. The Politically active Robert was the Chairman of the Standing Committee of Correspondence for Burlington County who argued to Parliament for representation of the colony of New Jersey. In 1775, Robert Mysteriously drowned in the Delaware River, while on the way back from a meeting in Pennsylvania. It was suspected he was murdered by a British spy. Mary pregnant with her last child and with the three small children were left to manage Robert's estate and businesses.
As the Revolutionary War approached, Robert headed the New Jersey Committee of Correspondence. This committee and committees like it, formed across the colonies to resist the British Parliament with less radical methods than their contemporaries, The Sons of Liberty. These committees petitioned the British Parlement and, exchanged information throughout the colonies. After war broke out, the committees expanded their roles as new pseudo administrative organizations, as the previous colonial governments fell apart. Robert drowned in the Delaware river in 1775. After the mysterious circumstances of his death, his young wife defended her home and family as the Revolutionary War broke out in 1776.
Over the following 237 years, the mansion was expanded and reflects several architectural styles. It has housed doctors, entrepreneurs and rum smugglers during prohibition. The building has been used as a bordello, speakeasy and, for seventy years it was Glenk's White Hill Mansion Bar and Grill.
White Hill Mansion
217 Fourth St (Burlington St)
Fieldsboro, NJ 08505